Herb Guide for Hamsters, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs & Chinchillas in Singapore
Starting on Herbs & Supplements for your tiny friend can feel daunting. We hope to simplify it for you with our simple Herb Guide / F.A.Q :)
QUESTION: What Is The Key Benefit Of Each Herb?
Here are the Key Benefits that each Herb has for your Hamster, Rabbit, Guinea Pig or Chinchilla!
- Calendula: Anti-inflammatory
- Chamomile: Calms anxious small animals
- Comfrey: Aids digestive system & high in Vitamin A
- Dandelion leaves: Aids digestion
- Dandelion root: Urinary system booster
- Echinacea: Boosts immunity & is a natural antibiotic
- Hibiscus: Lots of antioxidants
- Lavender: Stress relief
- Lemon balm: Relieves stress & is anti-bacterial
- Liquorice root: Boosts immunity & soothes gastric inflammation
- Marshmallow Root: Boosts kidney function
- Nettle: Digestive aid & relieves rheumatic pain
- Peppermint: Reduces gas
- Raspberry leaves: Digestive aid & soothes mild diarrhoea
- Rose petals: Boosts respiratory system
- Rosehip: High in Vitamin C
- Yarrow: Aids circulation
QUESTION: How Do I Start My Furkid on Herbs?
- When first starting your hamster, rabbit, guinea pig or chinchilla on a herb, it's best to start slow, to help them adjust.
- E.g. Herb on Day 1, then 1-2 days break in between, before trying same/another Herb on Day 3 or 4.
- During the beginning phase, everything else in their diet should remain the same. The reason for this is to give the tummy time to adjust to the new Herb. Also, in case of any allergies, it'll be easier to narrow it down.
- Once your furkid is used to the herb(s), it'll be no problem switching to giving it Daily.
QUESTION: Why Do Small Animals Need Herbs?
- Many pawrents feed their small animals pellets.
- These pellets undergo a high level of processing that damages many vitamins and minerals.
- Also, the fruits & vegetables we feed them daily, or weekly may not be diverse enough to contain sufficient vitamins and minerals to meet their needs.
- Hence, herbs are beneficial to support the immunity & organ systems of your rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, or chinchilla!
- We've found that using herbs has helped us cut back on how often we visit the vet!
QUESTION: Do The Different Small Animals Benefit / React Differently To Each Herb?
- Generally, the benefits of herbs apply across all 4 of the small animals (Hamsters, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas).
- The only difference is the personal preference of each bunny, piggy, hammy or chin to the herb, (E.g. Clarissa's furkids love echinacea and dandelion root, but we've seen other small animals dislike them).
- You could say that each furkid has their unique preferences, just like us hoomans!
Question: I Have More Questions About Herbs. Can You Help Me With Them?
- Yes! We're passionate about Herbs for small animals and would love to help :)
- Please send us a message via the "Ask FeedMyPaws" button on the bottom right of the screen, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!